Wednesday, August 12, 2009

Update on the Backyard

A crew took the Bradford down, but left the stump. And it was a BIG stump. And there were BIG roots everywhere We could not find a stump grinder that had a machine that would fit through our gate, so last Saturday hubby hired 2 workers to help him try and axe the stump out.
They all worked about 5 hours--and didn't make a dent. After many phone calls, we found a company that had the perfect grinder for our stump and our unique yard. Someone came out that afternoon to look at the situation and scheduled us for this Tuesday. The grinder fit through one of our gates, did not really harm any of the plants along the way (I moved everything I could), and ground that stump and roots completely down to nothing but mulch. I would have loved to watched, but unfortunately I was at work.
This is what is left--a huge pile of our Texas clay mixed in with Bradford Pear mulch. It is really rich, and looks really good for use in flower beds. That's the good news.
The bad news is that we cannot use it for about 10-14 days as there is too much acid in it..and we have a new tree coming in 7 days..so guess what we are doing for the next several nights? Yep, we are moving all the great mulchy dirt from this area into our little vegetable garden area. Thank goodness the temperature is below 100 this week, but that backyard is still extremely hot late in the afternoon with the sun streaming down.
I cannot tell you how dis-
couraging it is to try and find joy in gardening right now. This special little place is not very enjoyable anymore. I do have a few happy things to look at though. My blackfoot daisies just love the extra sun. They have been blooming up a storm. I have a few in flower beds.
And I have this one in an old bucket on the flagstone patio. I am trying to find some good things to see in all of this..but it certainly is a challenge. I feel like someone took my paradise away--and I want it back please! But I am trying to work on a plan for spring. I am trying to think "sun" when I think of seeds to buy. Hubby just knows I will again have a beautiful little garden area in back. Wish I shared his optimism! (Have I mentioned I am married to the most wonderful man in the world??) :)

"Ones best success comes after their greatest disappointments"
Henry Ward Beecher

11 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the heat is getting everyone down. But just think, you have a brand new garden to create!I spent last weekend just sitting under the patio umbrella, looking around and taking stock of what isn't working and what I want to try this fall when it cools down. I have much better luck planting perennials in the fall.My new favorite plants this year besides Angelonia, are bat faced cuphea and Mexican feather Grass. try them in your new sun garden!

Cindy, MCOK said...

Bless your hearts, Linda, this has been quite an ordeal! I feel for y'all working in this heat. 90s are not pleasant! I'm sure when you've gotten the new soil into that area and the tree planted, you're going to be re-energized thinking of all the planting possibilities. Fall's such a great time for planting in Texas ... hold on to that thought!

tina said...

Yes you are (next to mine:). So nice he is cheering you up. A new tree will grow and these days will be a distant memory. Hang in there. That mulch looks great. Good job to the guys.

Susie said...

Linda I'm sorry you are not enjoying your yard right now. I bet by spring you will have it up and running with all kinds of new things.

You just have a new canvas you get to paint. Hang in there, things will be looking up before you know it.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Nancy, thank you for the suggestions. I really need those ideas right now. And, yes you are right. I think the heat is getting to all of us. Thanks for your comment--I really apprecitate it.

Hi Cindy, I am embarrased to admit, but you are right. I am having a terrible time with the loss of this tree. It just made my backyard, which is where I did my gardening. I am trying to think ahead, and look forward to new plants--the excitement just hasn't hit yet. Thanks for your good thoughts--I'll keep them in mind! :)

Tina--we are truly lucky with these husbands! Mine is trying so hard to help me and cheer me up. He is the best! I hope the new tree grows well--all the tree people say it is the best. (but that's what I heard about Bradford Pears 25 years ago! oh dear!) :)

Susie, thanks for the encouragement. It's funny you used that analogy--I do try and picture a canvas, but it keeps coming up blank. I keep going through garden magazines for ideas, but they don't show many things for Texas. Hopefully, ideas will come.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Okay, I've been wanting to find a place for two gulf muhly grasses flanking a knock out rose and your sunny spot looks just perfect.

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oh my! I found my stump grinder guy through a landscape company I called, and he had one that fit through the gate. I was so happy! Then Robert has tried to kill off the shoots from that horrid tree (my tree was horrid and had thorns; I know you loved yours...) But they keep springing back up through the deck! Little horrid thorn trees that grow like weeds!!!
Brenda

Meadowview Thymes said...

Funny you should mention muhly grass Debbi--that was something I was thinking about for this sunny area! (you and I really need to live closer!) :)

I would hate a tree with thorns too Brenda! And it sounds like the tree that just wouldn't go away! I felt that way about a tallow tree we had, but at least it did not have thorns.

Northern Shade said...

It will be better when the new tree is planted. Even if it is still small, it is always nice to be able to anticipate the future garden as you look at it. Although they don't really replace the beauty of a shade tree, would some arbours with vines give a little shade ambiance in the meantime, as you wait for your tree to grow?

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Northern Shade--a new tree may help some, but probably not much. Our backyard is so small, I don't think we have room for another arbor. I'm afraid this space is turning into one we will not use much in summer. It is just too hot!

Nola said...

Can't wait to see the new tree! That stump grinder made short work of the stump. By fall it will all look wonderful (that's what I keep telling myself).