Friday, August 7, 2009

A Good Plant

Our little backyard has become quite a challenge after losing the Bradford Pear. The sun hits the back around noon, and doesn't leave until it sets in the western sky. Knowing some plants just cannot survive the intense heat of that west sun, we are just trying to keep as many things alive as we can. (I could not do this without the help, understanding, and compassion of the most wonderful husband in the world!)
One plant that has not suffered from all of these changes is Angelonia, Serena Purple. It has tolerated dry conditions, wet conditions, and now additional sun. I bought 2 of these plants in spring. This one is planted in the east bed that runs along the fence. It is under a wax myrtle. It gets good sun, but is somewhat protected from the hot west sun.
This Angelonia is planted in the bed that runs beside the flagstone walkway. It gets sun almost all day. This bed goes from dry, to wet, back to dry. And the Angelonia not only survives, but thrives. According to the Internet:
"The Angelonia 'Purple' provides masses of 3/4-inch blooms that open along plentiful long, elegant stems all summer long. A fine plant for hot, dry, humid, and even wet garden spots. This super-easy sun-lover is grown like Salvia and just as beautiful! 10 to 12 inches high, 12 to 14 inches wide."
And to top it off--you do not need to deadhead!
Fresh flowering stems simply arise to replace the old ones! Not only is it heat tolerant, it is humidity tolerant as well. The Serena series of Angelonia comes in this purple color, plus pink and white. I cannot recommend this Angelonia enough. If we can grow it this well in our conditions, it is a keeper!

8 comments:

misterreereeder said...

Those are beautiful pictures. And thanks for the tips about the plant. Some things do well regardless of the conditions.

tina said...

Sounds like a great plant! It sure is pretty and blooms forever it seems.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

It is a keeper! I have not heard of it. I guess I will have to watch for one!(-: Its hot here thats for sure! I am glad some of your plants are adapting. It must be a terrible shock for them. It is great your DH helps you so much!

Unknown said...

I discovered Angelonia last summer. I planted three,they did great and when they returned this spring I knew I had a winner. Next year I plan to get more and try them in some different beds to see what conditions they'll thrive in for me.

Meadowview Thymes said...

mr--thanks for the compliments on the picture. I am in awe of anything that can stand our recent weather! :)

Tina--so far, so good with this one. I don't want to jinx myself, but it has not stopped blooming!

Cindee--my dh is awesome. I cannot say enough about how wonderful he is. So many things are dying...it's good to see something thrive like this. I got them at Lowe's if you want to try and find one. (tell Jack I said hi!) :)

Hi Nancy--they came back for you?? I wondered about that...thought they were annuals, but was planning on just buying more next year. Thanks so much for letting me know!

Unknown said...

I'm College Station, zone 8b. It wasn't too cold for us last winter and they are in a pretty sheltered location near brick walls. I'll be interested when I plant them in more exposed locations or have a more harsh winter to see if they come back.But even if they don't I'll get more..

Susie said...

Hey Linda, angelonia is one of my favorites. It just keeps on blooming regardless of what you do to it.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Nancy, thanks for letting me know. Your winters may be a tiny bit warmer than here in the Dallas area, but not much. I agree with you--I will definetly buy more of these next spring.

Susie--this is a great plant. It does keep on blooming. Nancy and I have been talking about the hardiness--what do you know about this? Will it come back in spring?