Saturday, August 29, 2009

Moving On...

Thanks everyone for your sweet comments about the arrival of our first grandchild. He is a cutie! Mom and baby are doing great and I am so proud of the job my son is doing. Adam sure has wonderful parents!
So now we are moving on... The baby is here, my daughter's wedding plans are coming along, the new tree has arrived, and we are trying to get our backyard back to "normal."

This is a Chinese Pistache (or Pistachio). According to two Arborist, two tree farms, the stump grinder, and horticultural experts at Texas A&M (sorry my UT kids!)-this is the best tree for our small yard. Here are some things the experts say about this tree:






Extremely hard, durable wood, which is also very decay resistant, helps protect tree from wind, ice and vandal injury .
Superior drought, heat and wind tolerance once tree is established .
An extremely tough, durable and adaptable medium-size tree which is tolerant of both urban and rural conditions
Spectacular fall color in shades of orange, red-orange and even crimson, often rivaling the show of sugar maples in the Northeast
Pest free and easily maintained
The first shade tree to receive the coveted "Earth-Kind" designation from the Texas Agricultural Extension Service for its high levels of genetic resistance to insect and disease problems.


Sounds pretty good, huh? The down side to all of this is that these trees go through an "ugly ducking" stage for a while. Which..is where this tree is now. Hopefully, it will mature and grow and become beautiful.
Hubby had to re-do the brick around the bed the tree is in, and I think he did a wonderful job!
I still don't have a definite plan in my mind for next year, but I think I will plant bluebonnets around the tree for now. Surely over the winter I will come up with something.
It's the end of a hot, dry and eventful summer. I have had disappoint-
ments and joys. As I look out at the flowers blooming I am reminded of my favorite Lady Bird Johnson quote:

"Where flowers bloom..so does hope."

15 comments:

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Congratulations on the little one. Excellent tree choice.

JenningsJunk said...

I LOVE your quote!! The new tree and area is fantastic. I'm looking forward to seeing it fill in and startng with bluebonnets YES YES YES.

Racquel said...

Wow, great choice of tree! I think it looks pretty good, not an ugly duckling at all. And the garden is looking great in late August. Kudos to hubby on the brick edging, it turned out nice. Bluebonnets would be gorgeous around the tree. In time you will get more shade and can add favorite shadelovers to this bed. :)

tina said...

Welcome back! They planted these pistache trees all along our city streets here in Clarksville. A good tree for sure-durable. Yours looks fine. The bed even better-time to get it filled!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks Debbi! I hope the tree does well. I also hope it grows fast! :)

Thanks JJ--I am picturing those bluebonnets myself! (That quote is one of my all time favorties!)

Racquel, you are so sweet to be complimentary about the tree. I took a picture of it's better side. I hope it will becomes a swan before too long. I'll pass along your comment to hubby. That will make him feel great! Thanks!


Tina, we are seeing these Pistache all over here too. We seriously did not come across any "cons"--only "pros" so the decision to buy one was easy. I hope it fills out soon though--we need protection from that hot sun.

Gail said...

The Lady Bird Johnson quote is one of my favorites! Getting recommendations from folks who know trees like trimmers and arborists do, is a great idea! my friend the garden coach/designer is good, but she hasn't any tree knowledge.

It will be lovely with bluebonnets beneath it! Maybe even a bit of Indian Paintbrush~~that's what I remember from the planting at the Lady Bird Johnson Garden Center.

Gail

Meadowview Thymes said...

Gail---great idea! And...I just happen to have some paintbrush seeds!! (ordered them with the last order.
Have you ever planted them? This is my first year and I have heard they are really hard to grow. I am good luck with the bonnets. Please let me know if you have advice on paintbrush. :)

Cindy, MCOK said...

MT, the tree is gorgeous and will be ever more so as it matures. I know you're as glad as I am to see summer on the wane. 31 days till October 1st, my personal benchmark for when we can truly believe it's over!

Brenda Pruitt said...

I love that quote. Such a bright intuitive woman she was! So glad to hear your grandson and family are doing well. Good luck on this tree!
Brenda

Susie said...

Oh yes, we always have hope Linda.

I think your tree is going to fit in just right. Your hubbie did do a great job with the stone work.

Hope you have a great day!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thank you Cindy--not sure how pretty it is right now, but hopefully it will fill out. The picture is the better side. The other side doesn't look very good.
I love the anticipation of fall. Especially when the cool fronts start to roll in. So exciting!

I agree Brenda--Lady Bird was a great woman that had so many good things to say. I think of her everytime I see wildflowers by the side of the road.

I'll pass the compliment on to hubby Susie. He will be pleased my blogging friends like his work! :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Your tree looks grest! We have some in our town too!!! They are so beautiful in the fall!!!!
Your planter looks great too!!! The blue bonnrts will be so nice and cheerful next Spring!!!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks for the encouragement Cindee! I have never seen these trees in fall, but hear the color is beautiful.

Nola said...

Love your tree; mine did not come back, so it's going to be replaced. You will love the fall colors of the CP; that is a big reason why I chose that tree. Enjoy!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Oh dear Nola--now I'm worried. Wonder why it didn't come back. Are you replacing it with another just like it??