Sunday, August 16, 2009

Tree update, fuzzy caterpillars and worms


We worked every evening last week to scoop out remains from the Bradford Pear stump and roots..and look what a wonderful pile of rich mulch we have. We piled it high in the small veggie garden area for later use.

Then, yesterday and today our youngest son came over and helped hubby dig a BIG hole. That was not an easy task, as they ran into still more roots that had to be chopped out. Plus, working in the hot afternoon sun is just a killer. But, now we have a place for a new tree. It comes next week. I am excited, but a little nervous too. Keep your fingers crossed for us! :)
Now on to other gardening issues--caterpillars! These fuzzy white caterpillars are feasting on every plant I have! Well... almost. Does anyone know what they are? They were mainly on the pond plants, but now I am finding them on everything! And, can they eat!
This is--rather WAS--the Lizard's Tail in the pond. The caterpillars have destroyed it. I cut this plant back once this year due to these pest, and now they are back. I even found one on the ivy I stuck outside to water.


Worms!! I didn't take a picture, but my four o'clocks have little green worms eating them. I looked on the Internet to see if four o'clocks are host plants for butterflies, but did not see that they were.

I don't mind sharing my plants with the birds and butterflies--even the bunny, but enough is enough.
I think I'm ready for fall!!

11 comments:

Lola said...

Phew, that sure was a job to get the stump & roots out. It will look much better when you get your new tree in.
Sorry I have no idea the ID of the little white worm. Sure hope he slows down with his eating.

Meadowview Thymes said...

I hope it will look good Lola. It will never be the same--but I am hopeful I can come up with something that will be pretty to go with the new tree.

CanadianGardenJoy said...

Linda ... that has been a lot of work ! I am with you when it comes to what I like sharing my garden .. it sounds like a cycle occurance with the worms and caterpillars .. every so many years they "bloom" with not enough preditors to eat them and the weather conditions being just right.
It is a crappy thing to have to deal with.
Your new tree will be gorgeous : )
Joy

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Joy-glad you told me maybe this is just "the" year to have worm and caterpillar problems. That thought gives me hope for a better 2010. This year has been trying for me in the garden. :)

Susie said...

Linda I'm looking forward to seeing the new tree. I know it will look great. Sorry I don't know about those fuzzy caterpillars.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Me too Susie--I know it will not look the same, but I also hope I can come up with other ideas for that area once the tree is in.
Thanks!!

JenningsJunk said...

I'm exhausted just looking at all the work you've done, no wonder you're so worn out!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Yeah..it's been lots of work JJ. I am tired, but I haven't done nearly as much as Bert. He is my hero! :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Yikes! The white caterpillar is pretty though(-: I will ship out the ducks to you asap(-: They love bugs!!!(-:
I am excited to see your new tree in the ground!
That looks like a great pile of compost for sure!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee--I wish I knew what the fuzzy whites things were. One landed on me yesterday, and did not sting me-so I feel better about that. Hubby says we should add a bass to the pond--he thinks bass eat them too (but I'd rather have a cute litte duck!) :)

Diana said...

I wish I could tell you what the caterpillar is, but I found YOUR blog while looking for an ID for the same cat for MY Texas blog! I'm in Austin and they are eating my cannas. I relocated them as I pruned back holey leaves today - just set some cut leaves w/cats on them and put them in a wild area away from my garden! Enjoyed your blog - good luck with your tree. We just planted some big ones here, too.