Sunday, August 2, 2009

Snake Repellent ???

This past week has given us somewhat cooler temps and quite a bit of rain. Very unusual for the Dallas area deep in the summer. We will make up for up next week though as the temps are expected back in the 100's.
Usually rainy weather brings us very unwelcome slithering visitors. We never found the cottonmouth. We are thinking all the activity in our yard with the tree falling and crew coming to take it down made the snake decide to head on down the road. My snake story circulating around my office, and one of my programming friends (who had a visitor herself) found a product at Tractor Supply for us to try. (Thanks Karen!!)
And..it really is called "Snake Repellent!" I have seen products at Home Depot before, but they contained lots of warnings. This product is organic! It will not harm lawns, gardens or flowerbeds. It is safe to use around pets and children. This blend of cedar oil, cinnamon oil, clove oil and sulfur trigger an escape/avoidance behavior in snakes. Snakes actually taste the air around them via a receptor organ known as the Jacobson's organ. (who knew??) This product provides a potent scent/taste repellent that snakes find unpleasant. It triggers a natural reaction to escape and avoid. According to the label, "Bonide Snake Stopper Snake Repellent does not harm snakes, it drives them away naturally." Perfect for me to use. Now, you cannot add it to water, so I couldn't put it in the pond, but instead I would use it to create a barrier around the pond. It is a powder and is easy to shake out. You would need to re-apply after rain as it would wash away.
(To be fair, I must also tell you there is a note that says this product is exempt from registration with the EPA because of its ingredients. I have not checked this out yet. ) Most repellents have such a terrible odor, and this one..well it smells of cinnamon and cloves-what more can I say? : )
I am really optimistic this will send the snakes away. I will certainly keep you informed of what happens next.

14 comments:

Balisha said...

We usually have small to medium sized snakes in our yard. I have only found a few this year. They seem to like the hot weather here and we've had a cool summer.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Balisha,
We always have long water snakes every spring (non poison). I don't really want to kill them-I just want them to go away. I don't mind garden snakes, but I do not want a poisonous cotton mouth. Hope this product works!

tina said...

I never knew there was such a thing. I hope that if your slithering visitors come back this repellent works well. Do let us know if you have to use it and enjoy those cool days!

misterreereeder said...

Keep us informed. Who knew there was a snake repellant?

Meadowview Thymes said...

I will keep everyone updated Tina. Of course I am hoping I will have nothing to report! :)

Who knew mr--leave it up to Karen to find it!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I just love Tractor Supply!!!!
I hope this works for you!!!! Sprinkle it all around the border of your yard maybe that will keep those creepy things out of it!!!
I am going to look and see if our Tractor Supply has some when I go back next time(-: I hate snakes!

Susie said...

Girl, I hope this works for you. My niece and her little boys are finding snakes in their backyard.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee, I bet they have it there too. Wouldn't that be great if it would help with your rattlers! Let me know.

Susie, what kind of snakes are they finding? Hope they are the garden variety. I am not scared of those, but I would just as soon they not hang around here.

Nola said...

Get outta here! I am going to Tractor Supply tomorrow to get some! I am DEATHLY afraid of snakes, even the little harmless ones. Who knew something like that even existed???

Meadowview Thymes said...

Nola--I know! Who knew! Let's hope it will do some good. It sure won't hurt anything to try--nothing ventured, nothing gained, right?

Brenda Pruitt said...

Oooh! I don't like slithery things like snakes! Feel for ya! I found a centipede in the shower yesterday.
Brenda

Cindy, MCOK said...

I hope it works as promised and that you have no more nasty reptilian surprises!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Brenda, yuk on slithery things! Tell that centipede you shower alone! :)

Cindy, I hope it works too..but if it doesn't no harm using this product and trying. So far, no snakes! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh yes, I would love to know if this works. My dog was bitten 2 days ago by a snake. Now I'm paranoid. Please keep us posted or if anything else works!!