Friday, May 30, 2008

Ummmm...Gardenia's!

The Gardenia bush is blooming! Our little bush only has 5 flowers, but they are 5 beautiful, fragrant flowers. We almost lost the bush several years ago when we had one of those very unusual bitter cold winters--temps were in the teens. My husband gave the plants lots of TLC and it slowly came back. It will never be as big, but produces a few pretty flowers and oh--the smell! Yum!
It reminds me of the gardenia bush in our backyard when I was a child. When I smell that gardenia flower smell, I am transported back to a warm summer evening sitting in the backyard swing. I am not thinking about anything really--just enjoying the moment without a care in the world. Isn't it funny and nice how smells take it to another time? Like honeysuckle, mimosa trees and this pretty little gardenia bush in my yard.

3 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

Beautiful bloom - I'm so glad y'all were able to save this plant. Is it in the backyard so you can enjoy the heavenly scent from your swing sipping a refreshing beverage like a Souther Belle or does it greet visitors in the front yard?

Meadowview Thymes said...

It's in the front. My husband wishes we had one in back--the fragrance would be awesome! We do have an Orange Coneflower (Orange Meadowbrite) in back that smells wonderful! Did you know that certain coneflowers smelled good? It was a wonderful surprise to me!

Anonymous said...

Remember the climbing roses and honeysuckle in the backyard?? You are so right about how smells can transport you to another place and time - the smell of Campho-phenique(spelling??) reminds me of riding my bike up and down the sidewalk and of skating (in skates that needed a key, of course!) on warm summer evenings and of us making a tent in the backyard by throwing that old green plaid bedspread over the picnic table. The smell of orange popsicles (the real kind of popsicles with 2 sticks) brings back the sound of the ice cream truck and the smell of Coppertone or baby oil - because if I rubbed it on your back so you could tan, you'd buy me a popsicle!!

Ok, I really must find a good place in the yard for a gardenia - they are my favorite...

Kimberlyn