Sunday, May 4, 2008

Front Porch Geraniums

I have always loved red geraniums--and my favorite place for them is on the front porch. I have 2, one on each side of the front door. I had such pretty plants last year, still blooming late in the fall, I decided to try and keep them over the winter. I do not have a greenhouse and the pots are heavy, but I was determined. I dragged them inside, pushed them to the back of the porch, watered, picked off dead leaves, put them in the sun on warm winter days---and I was rewarded! They are back in place now on either side of the front door. They have grown bigger, the leaves are healthy green and the blooms are HUGH! One afternoon I counted 25 (yes, really 25!) flowers on one of the plants! Was it lots of trouble to over-winter them? Yeah, kind of. Would I do it again? YES!!

3 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

Great description of your trip! Thanks for sharing, it's almost liking traveling with you.

Anonymous said...

You sure do enjoy flowers. Are you related to Lady bird??

Meadowview Thymes said...

No relation--but I really admire what she did. I think of her every time I see wildflowers along the highway!