Sunday, November 9, 2008

Tyler State Park...remembering when..

When my children were young we went to Tyler State Park camping at least twice a year. It was always such a treat for everyone. My mother and step-father would drive down for a day, and my sister and her family would come from Longview to join us. We would fish, hike, grill hamburgers and enjoy the outdoors. We kept this tradition for many years, but as the children grew older and became involved in weekend activities our trips to Tyler slowed down and eventually stopped. I guess it has been about 15 years since we have been to Tyler State Park. This Saturday my husband and I decided to take a day trip and once again enjoy the place that gave us so many wonderful memories.
We wondered if anything had changed..
was it still as pretty as we rem-
embered ?


















The path through the woods seemed much shorter now without toddlers and young children taking time to explore everything as they walked .






Fall was in bloom-just as we had seen it so many times before.


The old fishing spot was still there, just now rather overgrown. Many little fishermen with snoopy rod and reels learned how to cast at this spot.

The Bat House-a new addition my little ones would have enjoyed.


The view across the lake was just as beautiful as it was 15 years ago. We met an unexpected visitor as we made our way around the lake.












I always hoped these early adventures camping would create a love of the outdoors in our children. I hoped they would grow to love nature and develop the desire to do their part to help preserve it. I hoped the good times we had camping would give them wonderful memories of times together sharing nature and enjoying each other.
And I believe this has all happened. Our now 3 grown children each have a love of the outdoors that is all their own. They are only all together about 2 or 3 times a year now, but it is during these times I see 2 brothers and a sister who really enjoy each other.

The trip to Tyler let us know the park is still there..and it still holds some very precious memories for us.
We enjoyed our day,
and we enjoyed our time remembering when...



"We have not inherited the earth from our fathers, we are borrowing it from our children."
Old Native American Saying

16 comments:

Brenda Pruitt said...

How far do you live from here? I haven't been out there for awhile. I've lived here almost four years, but don't get out and about that much. Nor do I know much about the lake out there.
Brenda

misterreereeder said...

What can I say. Another good quote. Great trip down memory lane. And it is still there!!!!!!

Susie said...

Sounds like very special memories Meadowview. Glad you and your husband were able to take a trip back to "Bountiful". There is always changes but some of the same steady things.

You sure captured a great pic of that Heron. He looks like he is scratching his chin.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Brenda--I live in Garland which is a suburb of Dallas. We are about 1 1/2 hr from Tyler. The park is really nice. It has a great trail that takes you around the lake and through the woods. Very pretty!

Yes mr--it's still there! :)
Going there on Saturday really took us back in time. We had great family times there.


Susie--I LOVE the movie Trip to Bountiful! Guess I am wanting to take that trip lots of times, especially now that I am getting older. Just to visit though! :)
The Heron was something to see!

tina said...

It is so wonderful that Tyler Park is still there and just as beautiful as ever after 15 years. This was a very sentimental post and so sweet for you, your husband and your three children to remember. The outdoors is best-memories even better:)

JenningsJunk said...

You sure brought back a ton of memories for me. I haven't been there in years either. It was one of several State Parks in the area that my family would camp at on weekends in my youth :D I really enjoyed you trip down memory lane!

Cindy, MCOK said...

What a great idea for a day trip! If y'all are enjoying the same beautiful fall weather we are here in south central Texas, it must have been a perfect day!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Tina-most of my best memories come from being outdoors! Even as a child, I spent all of the time I could in the backyard!


jj--it's a great place to take kids camping. Glad this post brought back good memories for you too!

Cindy--It WAS a beautiful fall day! Just perfect to take a walk through the woods and bring back some good memories!

Anonymous said...

I've been to that park as a teenager with my friend & her family. We fished & waterskied! Thanks for the happy memory.

Barbee' said...

There is an award waiting for you on my blog, if you are interested. Feel free to play or not play. Just want you to know your work is appreciated.
There Are More?

Anonymous said...

Great post...makes me want to go on a trip!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Racquel--I wondered if you had been to Tyler since you lived so close at one time. It's still very pretty!


Hi Barbee!
You are so sweet--I'll head over there right after work! :)
Thanks!!


inadvertentfarmer--Hi! Glad you liked the post. It was a perfect day trip for us!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

That sounds like a great place to take my boys. I didn't even know it was there.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Debbi--your boys would love it! They could run all around, rent paddle boats, fish...it would be great for them. And, it's not too far away from you either!

Unknown said...

I love Tyler State Park. :) Our very first tent camping trip as a family was there with cub scouts. We were SUCH inexperienced campers then, that my dh used the car headlights to light our campsite in order to put our tent up in the dark, cook hotdogs on the grill and then proceed to through the leftover ones in the woods behind our tent! We woke up to this choking sound and I thought it was dh struggling. He then said, "No, it's not me, but some animal outside!" Well, Tyler has plenty of raccoons and we fed them well that night. :)

It's funny now to think about how dumb we must've appeared to the scout troop. Good times...

Another time we camped with the scouts there and it stormed heavily. Out of 30+ campers who packed up in the night due to very bad weather, we stayed. We woke up the next morning being the only ones left in the group. The air mattresses kept us alfloat. :) We then gathered the remains of tents and camping equipment the other left behind. Again, good times...

Meadowview Thymes said...

Garden4life--all of your experiences make for some really good memories. Ironically, we weathered some pretty bad storms at Tyler too! It's still such a beautiful place.