Saturday, November 15, 2008

A Beautiful Blooming Saturday

It's a beautiful chilly Saturday here in the Dallas area. We had our first cold front move through last night. No freeze..yet! They are warning us to move the plants in tonight though, so later today I will be moving the containers onto the patio and covering them up for the night. My patio offers good protection for plants especially if they are covered, and unless it gets in the 20's, they can survive the winter there.
Carol at May Dream Gardens hosts Gardener's Bloom Day on the 15th of each month (thank you Carol!), so after getting 2 loaves of pumpkin bread in the oven this morning, I decided to take a quick walk outside to see what is still blooming. This pretty is the Christmas Cactus my neighbor gave me. I carried her outside to take a good picture. Can you believe all the blooms! She is going back in, it's too cold out here for her!
Tiny star creeper continues to bloom. I love seeing the tiny flowers peak out under all the leaves.






Mexican Milkweed continues to have blooms. This picture is blurry because the wind is blooming so hard I couldn't get the plant to stop moving!
The Lavender (Pinata) is in full bloom.







Look what I found hiding in one of the beds!
This is probably the last day for cosmos blooms, but they will be back next year!






I continue to have beautiful blooms on the geraniums. These will be plants moved to the patio and covered later today. If it gets really cold, they will come inside.














And finally, one last look at the zinnias (profusion). I am pulling them up and putting pansies in their place. This has without a doubt been my favorite annual flower this past year.





I can't say winter is around the corner, here in Texas you never know when it will arrive, but on a blustery day like today, you are reminded that it will not be long before we can only dream about blooms and digging in the dirt. We will sit in front of the fire where it is warm, drink hot chocolate, and look through our gardening books waiting for the first signs of spring.
"If Winter comes, can Spring be far behind?"
Percy Bysshe Shelley

17 comments:

Nola said...

I'll be out in MY yard doing the same thing! I threw blankets over a few tender plants last night. Right now I'm sitting in front of the fire, trying to work up the nerve to face the bitter wind!

JenningsJunk said...

Your garden/yard continues to amaze me and bring me such joy, I can only try and imagine how much joy it gives you...thank you! You've got a big task ahead getting them all ready for the lowering temps...then again, like you said, this is Texas and it may not be winter yet after all!?!?

Susie said...

Meadowview it's nice to see such lovely blooms still going strong. I have that exact same zinnia and it too still looks good.

We're have a blustery day too. Wind is very strong and it rained last night. But at least it is sunny! Enjoy your weekend.

tina said...

LOTS still blooming! I can't believe how nice those cosmos and zinnias still look. Very pretty colors (I just love the hot colors). I really like that blue star creeper too. I think I will try it out here. It is one I haven't tried before.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Nola--sitting by the fire sounds great. And..I will be doing that very thing tonight! For now, I am heading off into this awful cold wind! Brrrr!!

jj--you are so sweet. My little garden brings me lots of pleasure. Guess that is one reason I love spring and summer so much!

Hi Susie--guess that cold front has hit everyone! Do you have many things that bloom in the winter?

Anonymous said...

We haven't had a hard freeze yet, but I'm sure it's coming soon. But it has been raining on & off for days now. You still have lovely blooms this mid November! I am planting the profusion series of Zinnias next year & those orange cosmos as well. They look great in your garden!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina--as you can tell..I LOVE shades of red and yellow in the garden! Add a small touch of blue..yum!! Try the star creeper--it has bloomed non stop since I bought it early spring. I have no idea what will happen over the winter..it does say perennial on the tag. I'll keep my fingers crossed! :)


Racquel--you will love the zinnias! I also love the cosmos-just know they are extremely prolific, but very easy to control.

marmee said...

mt,
good evening , i am doing what your last sentence said sitting by the fire and reading gardening blogs not books. it is very cold and rainy here today. feels like winter to me. your blooms are looking great, enjoy them.

misterreereeder said...

When winter gets here, it looks like you will just be trading one pleasure for another. The fireplace sounds nice.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Marmee! We had a fire in the evening--our first for the season. Once it stays cold, I'll have a fire going almost every night. I so love the warmth and ambience!

mr--that's a good way to look at it! Trading one pleasure for another...you are SO good with words! :)

Susie said...

Meadowview right now I don't have too much blooming. My tea olives are blooming right now and they smell heavenly. My orange zinnias are still blooming. I do have some marigolds and mums as well as some pansies that are giving it a go. That is mainly it for now.

Cindy, MCOK said...

The Profusion Zinnias really do earn their keep in the garden, don't they? I have P. Apricot scattered here and there, all self-seeded.

We woke up to frost on the rooftops here ... that's early for my corner of Katy! It will be interesting to see what tonight brings. I think it might get colder tonight!

Anonymous said...

How fortunate that you can overwinter many plants on your protected porch. The tiny star creeper is very dainty and pretty. It makes a soft looking carpet.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks for the update Susie! Guess we will not have anything but pansies blooming before too long.


Hi Cindy--we had some frost this morning too, but I don't see that it did any damage to plants. I don't think it stayed cold long enough to hurt them.


northernshade--if we have a cold winter I will have to bring things inside. Our coldest weather is usually in Jan-Feb, but you never know what will happen here in Texas! :)

Corner Gardener Sue said...

Lovely! I am bookmarking you to come back after getting through all the GBBD blogs! I am obsessed with looking at all of them! Our season for the blooms is over, but some of the plants haven't dropped their flowers yet.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Your blooms still look so pretty. I took the pictures but did not get a GBBD post up. We have a bad cold and couldn't get motivated.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Sue, welcome to Meadowview Thymes! Living in a warmer climate allows us to have blooms longer, but cold fronts will start to move through now that it's close to Thanksgiving. Thanks for visiting! :)


Debbi--sorry you all are sick. Lots of people have "stuff" right now. I think I read that Tina (In the garden) has a cold and everyone in my office has been sick. Guess it's that time of year. Feel better!! :)