Saturday, June 30, 2012

Summer Sun

 
Does anything say "Summer" more than beautiful, happy Sunflowers!  According to my little Curious Gardener's Almanac - "The Sunflower is a native plant of the Americas, where the Indians used its seed as an important source of food.  The Incas of Peru were sun worshippers and used it in religious ceremonies.  The sunflower leans toward the sun in a process known as "heliotropism."
I know we have all driven by fields of sunflowers amazed how each tall flower has it's face turned toward the sun.  Sunflowers are a fun flower to grow in your own garden too.  I planted a few seeds in my little veggie garden area; right by the fence.  I enjoyed watching them grow, getting large buds, and eventually opening up to a very big showy flower.   Usually I save my seed packets, but sadly did not keep this one.  All I know is that it was a mixed variety.   So...enjoy some "sun" from my garden today.






"When you take a flower in your hand and really look at it, it's your world for the moment."
                          Georgia O'Keefe

8 comments:

Butrifli said...

I hope that you accept this Award, One Lovely Blog Award, I love the Sunflower by the way! best wishes..
http://tangentgardening.blogspot.com/

tina said...

Now that is the kind of summer sun I appreciate! Not this blistering merciless golden ball we have. Stay cool! I hope you are getting plenty of rain this year. None here.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina, we have had some rain, but with the temps heating up we could certainly use some more! Lakes look better than last summer which is a real blessing!

Skeeter said...

While living in Germany, we enjoyed the summer with fields of sunflowers holding their heads up high! We also enjoyed the Pommes (french fries) cooked in thier oil. Ah, the memories... I did not plant sunflowers this year. I forgot to pick up some seeds! Duh, I must get them back into my gardens for next year, although, the deer eat them. LOL

Meadowview Thymes said...

Virginia--thanks for thinking of me! :)

Skeeter--Sweet memories! I did not know deer liked sunflowers. Is it the seeds, or the stalk, or maybe the entire flower. Interesting!! :)

RobinL said...

Ooh, I love that red one! For the last few years, the sunflower seeds I plant don't even bother to come up, and it's getting really frustrating. I love them, and hate to be without them in my garden!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Robin, I love the red too! Wonder why your seeds do not germinate? Not all of mind did either though. I have a MG friend that has them all over her garden. So jealous! :)

Solid Patio Covers said...

Thanks a lot for blogging this, it was unbelieveably informative and helped me tons.
http://www.beattheheatonline.com/portfolio-item/solid-patio-cover/