Tuesday, July 10, 2012

It's Blooming!

The Texas Star Hibiscus is now in bloom!!  You can see the tons of buds on it, but only a few flowers seem to open at the same time.  And of course, true to form-the flowers are only open for one day.   Bummer...but another bud will open the next day so I always have flowers-I just wish the whole plant would be covered in red one day!  Here is some information on this plant:

"A Texas Native, Texas Star Hibiscus  (Hibiscus coccineaus) is a tall, slender perennial Hibiscus that produces large bright red, 5 petal flowers from summer until fall. The foliage has large 5 fingered palmate leaves with serrated lobes.  Texas Star Hibiscus can grow to 6 feet tall and is adaptable to many soil types as long as it has ample moisture, and it is often found in bog areas and in Texas wetlands. Texas Star Hibiscus blooms on new growth and can be cut back after flowering to maintain size and encourage new bloom, and after first freeze cut back to the ground. It is a great plant to attract ruby throated hummingbirds, bees, and birds to your yard and works great around ponds and bogs. "   If you remember, I actually had this plant in my pond, but it was just way too tall for my little pond-so I put it in a deep container and set it in a corner of the back flower bed.  In this heat, I do have to keep it watered..but oh the reward with those blooms!
A Texas Star......indeed!

8 comments:

Skeeter said...

What a beauty! You lost me with the words WET and BOG none of which we have in my parched garden LOL. I know what you mean when you say you wish they would all bloom at once! But on the bright side, you will have blooms longer if they are staggered….

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Skeeter--I know...wet and bog are not familiar around here much either! It is hard for me to believe these will actually grown IN water....but oh so tall!

tina said...

It is A BEAUTY! Such a perfect color for Texas (next to yellow of course)!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina--red with all that yellow, my favorites!

Balisha said...

That's such a pretty plant. We've been so dry here too. Like living in a desert almost.
Balisha

Flower Pot said...

What a beauty and very different from the hibiscus that I see here in Atlanta...thanks.

AustinNativeLandscaping.Com said...

Beautiful! Will have to incorporate it more often in our designs.

Thanks, really enjoyed reading this.

Keep it coming!

boulder walls Gold Coast said...

What a beautiful bloom. I just stumbled upon in your blog and I find this red Texas Star Hibiscus really wonderful. Nice share!