Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Green Beans Anyone?

We have a tiny little veggie garden area right outside the backyard fence.  There is not room for much; we have tomatoes, peppers, and this year planted green beans.  I was looking at the flower seeds at Walmart back in early Spring and saw packages of Burpee "Roma II" beans.  I know nothing about varieties of seeds, but the word "Italian Cut" caught my eye.  I love the big wide green beans, but can never find them here at markets.  So---I decided to try seeds.  They started slowly--which was probably the gardener's fault as she planted them rather early in the season--but really began to grow once the weather warmed up..and we got some much needed rain.  And before I knew it--time to pick!
Nice harvest from a small little garden I would say.  I had some for us, some to share, and still plenty for the freezer.  Pass the cornbread please!

3 comments:

Lea said...

Amazing what can be grown in just a small space! Lovely beans!
Have a wonderful day!
Lea
Lea's Menagerie

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks Lea--they sure tasted good!

Skeeter said...

Yummy looking harvest you have there and so early in the season too! We have not had any fresh beans this summer. Must get to the Market since we did not plant any edibles this year...