Friday, October 23, 2009

Garden surprises and Red Geranimums

In the fall I love to walk around the yard and find little blooming surprises. I didn't have to go far before noticing this lonely little cosmos growing right in the grass.
Not a blooming plant, but I thought it was odd to see an asparagus fern growing in the bed in front of the tree. Now, where did that come from?
I bought this little plant because I thought it would look good growing around some of the large rocks in my garden. I don't even know what it is..so how surprised I was to find a little yellow bloom on it!
The little star creeper has started to bloom again. Poor little thing has been struggling to survive this summer. I think the ground ivy is taking over.





When I put the new trellis in the wildflower bed, I saw this one BIG bloom on White Swan Coneflower.
And look at the tiny bloom of a rose moss growing in with the hens and chicks. I think this pot at one time was full of rose moss.
Not a surprise though are the red geraniums all around my yard. Now that the temps are lower and we have gotten so much rain, they are lush and blooming up a storm. This is one of two containers that I kept on the front porch. They are just too heavy for me to move around, so hubby did one final move and put them in the back bed. I will try and keep them over the winter, but this may be the year they go.
An old tin picnic basket holds more flowers...










I actually started both of these plants from cuttings from the large pot of geraniums.
Red in a garden is my favorite!
I completely forgot there was a little geranium in the basket of all mixed plants I bought in March. It never really bloomed, but I see now there is one tiny bloom.
I love these late fall surprises..and I especially love seeing all the geraniums blooming for probably the last time this year. I guess I will move all the plants to the corner of the patio and cover them during the really cold days (if we get any of those!). It's quite a treat to have early blooms in spring after looking out on the brown of winter. Flowers never fail to brighten my day.
"Flowers are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul."
Luther Burbank

13 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

So so wonderful...I love seeing them all and hearing their stories. Thank you!!

Susie said...

Hey Linda, You know I love garden surprises too. I'll probably take a walk in my yard later on to see what's going on out there.

I think your mystery plant is a type of lysimachia that is related to creeping jenny. We sold it at the nursery this year.

Love the red geraniums, so pretty!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Glad you enjoyed the pictures JJ. I so enjoy all my flowers--especially the unexpected ones!

Susie, thanks so much--I am going to write that name down. I didn't even look at the tag, I like it so well. It looks great coming out from the rocks. I have some creeping jenny too that I love.

Racquel said...

Isn't it fun finding tiny surprises all over the garden. It's like a wonderful treat at this time of the year. :)

tina said...

I hope you don't lose your beautiful geraniums. You are the one who inspired me to save my two! They get so big after a while. Fingers crossed they make it. Have a wonderful weekend.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Racquel, I do love those garden surprises. And you are right--especially this time of year when we think everything is about gone.

Tina, I will try and save them..but like you said, it is so hard when they get big. I am thinking mine need to be pruned back some anyway, so I may do some cutting, then tuck them away to a spot out of the cold.

Lola said...

Hi Linda, I too like to find surprises in my garden. I found an Iris 'Billionaire' blooming. So nice this time of the yr. Some of my geraniums are blooming also but I need to pay them more attention.
I do hope you can over winter yours. I love the color red in my garden.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Lola--you have an iris blooming? Wow!! Sure would like to see that!
I love reds and yellows in the garden--with a little touch of blue or purple. sigh...makes me think of spring just saying this.. :)

Anonymous said...

How nice to be in Texas where so many flowers are still in bloom. Everything is fading fast here, including the fall foliage colors.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi MsRobin! I wish we had fall foliage, but I guess we do have a tiny bit. The heat can get really bad in summer, but we are blessed with a long gardening season.

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

I love red geraniums too(-: Mine have hung on for two years and I hope they make it again. I love them. I think next year I will plant more(-:
If you cut them back and cover on really cold days it might help. How cold does it get there? Last year we had a few cold days but nothing really bad. My geraniums are on the south side of the house so maybe that is helping too.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee, we never know about winter here. Typically it is not bad-just with a few really cold, in the 20's, days. Some years it never gets out of the 30's--but cole enough to kill geraniums. I have kept mine on the patio for years, and guess I will again--it's just lots of trouble to do that, but I sure love spring blooms! :)

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee, we never know about winter here. Typically it is not bad-just with a few really cold, in the 20's, days. Some years it never gets out of the 30's--but cole enough to kill geraniums. I have kept mine on the patio for years, and guess I will again--it's just lots of trouble to do that, but I sure love spring blooms! :)