Monday, January 26, 2009

Colors of Winter

It is a cold, wet, gloomy Monday! They have colder weather plus ice in the forecast. When I got home from work, I walked around outside for just a minute and found some beauty on this dreary day.
I love the way the trees look against the sky on a cold rainy day. It is so quiet and so peaceful as I walk around the back yard. Even the birds are not out on this wet day.

I saw more beauty in the winter color of the grasses...






..even in the brown of the fern. I know that is where my little bird friends find shelter on a cold winter day.
But look what else I find with all the winter colors, I find some green! Hyacinths are peaking through the candytuff--both watching for spring.
The wonderful, fragrant jonquils are already up waiting for bloom time..
..daffodils are up and very close to blooming..

..and the tulips are poking through the ground wondering if it is time for them.

I look so forward to seeing these sure signs of spring, especially on a cold wet day. I will continue to check the bulbs constantly now that they are starting to come up, until one day I'll go out and find the first bloom. In Texas we may have terrible summers, but we are so blessed with our early springs!

"She who loves a garden learns the lessons of the seasons and how life itself adheres to nature's plan---that from every winter sleep there comes a wonderful awakening holding promise as it has since time began"
from Mary Englebreit's She Who Loves A Garden

12 comments:

tina said...

Spring is not far away at all. I love your grasses. I agree-I'm betting there are all kinds of little birds in there tonight and all cold nights.

We are expecting our first ice storm here and my son is anxiously awaiting the call-no school!

marmee said...

i am glad you could find your beauty today. this weather is starting to get to me, but i am making a trip south in a couple of weeks to get a sunshine and beach fix. you should enjoy all those little bits of green sticking out for soon you will have blooms.
happy winter day to you.

Meadowview Thymes said...

We are under ice storm warnings Tina--but you just never know here. It will probably go north of us! That's ok with me!

Oh marmee--have a wonderful time at the beach. I love the sun, and really miss my sunshine fix in the winter! Hope to see a post on your trip!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

We need to get ready for this storm. I wam watching the news right now and the icy stuff is on the way. Stay warm and off the roads.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Good morning Debbi! You never know if these things will bypass us or not. If it does come, I sure wish it would wait until everyone is home from work! You take care and stay warm too!

Dawn said...

How lucky you are to have green poking up from the ground! And wonderful news about your son! What a journey.
Stay warm, we are going to get socked with snow.

Nola said...

Aren't bulbs wonderful? Just that little tuft of green can really pick you up when everything else is brown in the yard. Every year I plant a few more, paperwhites and jonquils are my all time fav bulbs.

Susie said...

Oh girl you definitely have some early spring coming on. I love seeing that.

I hope you don't get too much ice. My family in Arkansas is getting it.

Anonymous said...

It's a wet day here Linda. We both have some wonderful signs of spring in the garden right now. Your Daffs look closer to blooming than mine do though. :)

Meadowview Thymes said...

Dawn, I heard you all were going to have quite a snow! Stay warm!
Thanks for the kind words about my son--we feel so blessed!

Nola-you plant the paperwhites outside? I force them inside and plan on planting them outside after blooming. When do they bloom? Daffodils are my favorites! I will even buy those little bouquets from the grocery store for vases inside! :)

Susie-I heard Arkansas has some nasty weather! Hope your family is safe and warm! I don't think we will get much if any ice. It's just not that cold yet.
(I love my little green reminder of spring!)

Racquel--I thought the daffs looked pretty close to blooming too. I wish they would wait just a little longer. If I could, I would have all my bulbs blooming at the same time! :)

Anonymous said...

You are so lucky to have things beginning to grow. We have to wait for the snow to melt where we live.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi Rani! Yes, I feel quilty complaining about the little winter we have and we are so lucky with our early spring. I guess we pay for it in the summer--it's hot for months!
Thanks for stopping by!