Tuesday, November 10, 2009

The Wedding is over and The Mexican Marigold Mint is in bloom!

What an absolutely fabulous weekend we had. The weather for the wedding could not have been any better. Everything was decorated for fall...the church, the country club where we had the reception..it was all beautiful! I only have a few pictures right now, but if we get some good family pictures, I will post those later. This is a sweet picture of our Pastor explaining the vows to Jen and Jason.
And a picture of the very happy couple cutting the cake. (and YUM was it good!)




With the exception of the bridal bouquet, all the flowers were fall colors. These are what the bouquets looked like on all the tables at the reception. They were in short round vases with 4 votives surrounding them.(I didn't keep their vases-this is one I had in the garage.) The chocolate brown napkins on the table had a pocket fold with a silk fall leaf and little bag of chocolates tucked inside. I got to bring some of the flowers home. Roses in every fall color filled the vases along with several other things. The florist did an outstanding job.

And, while I was busy with wedding details, my Mexican Marigold Mint started blooming! I bought this as a small plant back in early summer. Just one of those things I wanted to try. I didn't even know it bloomed in fall! It just got taller and taller all summer, and now it has these buttery yellow flowers.
Sorry the close up is so blurry-I wanted you to see the cluster of flowers blooming only at the top.



Mexican Marigold Mint is native to Mexico and Guatemala where its foliage is used for teas, seasoning and medicinal purposes. Herb gardeners in Texas often substitute this plant for French tarragon, which cannot withstand summer heat in Texas.
Although it is a marigold, this plant is not susceptible to spider mites. After becoming established, very little needs to be done to keep Mexican Marigold Mint looking attractive, although growth may be pruned back before June in order to shorten the ultimate height. Mexican Marigold Mint does best in well-drained, sunny locations. The leaves are slender and have notched edges, and the blooms are in clusters of golden-yellow single flowers, appearing from mid-fall till frost. There is a noticeable fragrance of anise associated with the plants.
This plant even survived all the October rain we had! I think this will be one of my fall favorites!

Do you have a favorite fall flower this year?

15 comments:

JenningsJunk said...

Love your pictures-wedding and home!! Glad everything went so well!!!

Lola said...

I'm so glad the wedding went so lovely. The Bride & Groom are a beautiful pair. Prayers for a long happy future for them.
I love that Mexican Marigold Mint. Does it have seeds? Do you think it would grow in my zone 8b/9? I would love some seeds as I've never seen that plant around here.

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

What a beautiful couple. You must be very proud. My Mexican mint marigold is sprawling and blooming. Try a little in tuna or chicken salad. It is yummy.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks JJ--we were happy it went so well too!

Thanks Lola--and thanks for your prayers. That is my prayer as well!
Since the Mex Marigold is new to me--I am not sure about seeds..but, I will investigate. I would love to give you some. I feel sure it would grow in your zone. I don't think it will grow in the colder areas though.

Debbi, thanks. We are very proud and happy for them!
I love french tarragon in chicken salad..so I will definetly try this Mexican Marigold. Do you know about seeding (Lola's question above) I would love to capture seeds if I could.

Susie said...

I'm glad the wedding was wonderful as they usually are. Can't wait to see more photos. The one of the couple cutting the cake is sweet.

Cindy, MCOK said...

Felicitations to the happy couple! As for my favorite fall flower, right now it's toad lilies because they're blooming so beautifully for me! The asters put on a nice show earlier in the fall, though.

tina said...

Congratulations to the new couple!!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks Susie! I like the cake cutting too. I am anxious to see the pictures the photographer took, but that will probably be a while.

Cindy, I think Toad Lilies are the cutest things! No wonder they are your favorites. The asters just didn't seem to last long enough-kind of like mums. I love having them, but they just don't seem to last.

Thanks Tina. I hope they are having a good time in Hawaii!

Anonymous said...

wow - those photos turned out great! It certainly was a beautiful wedding and the reception was both lovely and loads of fun - and I don't think a wedding and reception can get any better than that!!

Your gardens look lovely. I am looking forward to spending some much needed time in my own gardens very soon.

Your sister (Kim)

Meadowview Thymes said...

Hi sister Kim! We sure had a great time didn't we!
I plan on spending time in my garden on Saturday. It's been a long time since I worked out there..and it's time for pansies! :)

Anonymous said...

Looks like it was a beautiful ceremony. I've seen that Mexican Marigold on one of the gardening shows, cool plant. :)

Barbee' said...

What a lovely post!!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Racquel, everyday I love the Mexican Marigold more and more. It is becoming one of my favorites!

Hi Barbee--thanks for the compliment. Jen and Jason sure make a cute couple! :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Wow beautiful bride(-: That is really a pretty bouquet of flowers too! The cake looks really beautiful also! I have never heard of Mexican Mint. Cool! It only blooms in fall?

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee, yes the Mexican Marigold only blooms in fall. I forgot that it even bloomed. I wanted the texture in the garden, plus I wanted to try using it in salads in place of tarragon. (I have yet to do that!) :)