Sunday, April 19, 2009

A new plant and LOTS of new seeds!

Knowing how I love to plant seeds, my sweet blogging friend Nola from Alamo North asked me if I would like some pink four o'clock seeds. Well, of course I said YES, please!! I received a little packet in the mail late last week from Nola, and there wasn't just 1 envelope of four o'clock seeds (acutally there were 2!) , there were 4 other envelopes of other kinds of seeds! I cannot tell you how excited I was. (but I know you love gardening like I do, so you know how excited I was!) Nola also sent me Angel's Trumpet, Hummingbird Vine, Bird of Paradise, and Moonflower Vine! Thank you, thank you, thank you Nola for sharing part of your beautiful garden with me!


This is my Gaillardia Indian Blanket, Firewheel. It is a drought hardy plant that we see a lot here in Texas beside the side of the road or out in fields. For some reason, they are very hard to grow in a flower bed. This plant is about 3 years old, and does well in spring, but even though it is drought tolerant, it tends to die back in the summer..when it should be at it's best!
Last summer Jimmy Turner from the Dallas Arboretum recommended a new variety of Gaillardia that does well in flower beds. It looked good at the Arboretum all summer, so I thought this year I would give it a try. This is Gaillardia "Frenzy" or Frenzy Blanket Flower. You plant it in full sun. It is also drought tolerant.
There was only a bud on the Firewheel, so you can't see a picture of the flower, but you can see the difference in the buds. The foliage is also different on the 2 plants. I really liked the flower of the Firewheel better I think, but if this one is happier in flower beds, then it will be a better plant for me. Time will tell...I'll keep you posted!
Happy Gardening everyone!

15 comments:

tina said...

And happy happy gardening to you! How nice of Nola to send those other seeds. They will be awesome in your garden. I love the blanket flower. I don't have enough sun here but it so beautiful when it blooms and full of color. My kind of plant for sure to be drought tolerant. No worry on that right now though. You have a good day-planting all the seeds?:)

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina, I will probably plant today if the wind isn't too bad. I want to plant 2 other plants in the partial shade garden and then get a picture for you!
Off to church...have a great day...
in the garden! :)

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

What a great gardening friend Nola is(-:
I have tried to grow the blanket flower here too. It doesn't make it. I wonder why if its drought tolerant? Maybe I will have to try the new one!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Cindee--yes, Nola is a precious friend to us all!
I cannot figure out why blanket flower will not do good--especially when I see it growing like crazy in all the fields around here! I hope this variety works!

Brenda Pruitt said...

That Indian Blanket's leaves look much like marigolds, doesn't it? Yes, Nola is so giving and sweet. Can't wait to see what they look like once they've been planted and come up!
Brenda

Barbee' said...

Now isn't that just the way plants can be so fickle. I have had the same problem with other plants that seemed fine in the wild, but would it grow for me?!.... no! Good luck with the new variety.

Susie said...

I love the red blanket flower. I have grown the other color and thought it was the greatest plant. So easy to take care of.

Meadowview Thymes said...

They do look like marigolds Brenda! I need to plant some marigolds..I just look them and that spicy fragrance!

Hi Barbee! Yes, it drives me crazy when I see plants out in the fields and try them at home..and nothing! I think some flowers just like wide open spaces and no one fussing over them! :)

Susie--"red" blanket flower--love that name. I hope I have better luck with this one. I just bought one so I could see how it does, but it looks so good..I am tempted to get another one!

Anonymous said...

Good luck with your new Blanket Flower, hope this one gives you lots of blooms for years to come. That was nice of Nola to share some seeds with you. Four o' Clocks are pretty cool, but beware they spread like wildfire. :)

Meadowview Thymes said...

I hope the blanket flower does well Racquel--I'll be sure and give an update.
I may try some of the four o'clocks in a container (you know me and containers!) :)
There is also a place by the patio there could sure use something that smelled that sweet!

Aunt Debbi/kurts mom said...

Fun Fun Fun. She gave me the same set when I met her for a day at the Blue Bonnet Trail.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Debbi-that Nola is one sweet and generous person!
Glad you guys had so much fun in the rain with the bluebonnets! :)

Anonymous said...

Now that's a fun looking gallardia! Makes me wish I hadn't bought the "everyday" variety. I think I figured out my mystery plant you commented on. I'm now relatively certain it's my purple aster. I saw aster seedlings at the nursery today, and they looked very similar. But time with tell for sure!

Nola said...

I love Gaillardia, but never have much luck with it in my garden. I harvest seeds from the pasture or roadside, then try to grow it at home. It is so beautiful!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Robin, let me know how your variety of Gallardia does. I like the red color of the new one, but I REALLY like the firewheel best!
Glad you figured out the flower!

Nola--You harvest seeds from the field flowers! Girl, you are so smart!!! Speaking of seeds, I planted the four o'clocks yesterday and am hoping to plant the others this weekend. Sooo exciting!! :)