Sunday, September 7, 2008

Saturday at the Arboretum

Our mornings have been pleasant this past week, so I decided that Saturday morning would be a good time for Mother and I to visit the Dallas Arboretum. It will be the first of many visits this fall. The Arboretum is getting ready for "Autumn at the Arboretum" which begins September 30th. So of course we were not seeing mums and asters, but late summer plants. So, walk with me as I show you late summer at the Arboretum.






These are just a few of the many beds filled with New Guinea Impatients. They are absolutely gorgeous!





A few roses were in bloom. This one is Nacogdoches.















And look at this one. Yes, you are not seeing things. This bush has 3 blooms: 1 red, 1 pink, and 1 light pink (almost white). Have you ever seen this before? This bush was not labeled so I can't tell you the name. Maybe they don't know either!



This is one of the cabins in the Pioneer Village. I love the native plants in this area.


Can you believe it? These are Giant Victorian water lilies. They are hugh!


One of my favorites! You can smell the sweet aroma before you even see it! This is Wild Ginger.






The paths wind and wind past profusion
zinnias...



..shrimp plants..



and Globe Amaranth (all around purple)


At the end of our trip we walked past the new drought tolerant beds. This is home to many Texas native plants that will survive in hot summer without much care. It's another area I love.

What a wonderful way to spend a Saturday morning.

"Nature is painting for us, day after day, pictures of infinite beauty if only we have the eyes to see them." John Ruskin

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful day to spend a Saturday afternoon. At least the sun was out, mine was rainy & gloomy. I love all those Victorian Lilypads, never seen anything like them. Beautiful blooms going on still in late summer-early fall.

JenningsJunk said...

I LOVE your pictures and walk thru the Arboretuem. My mom and I were talking just the other day of when we going to take our next trip out there. Hmmmmmmm, I think we need to make it definite plan :-)

misterreereeder said...

Another fan of the Arboretum!! And your pictures and notes were were great. Thanks for sharing your weekend trip with us. Looks like you and your mom had a great time. Always looking forward to what you and you mom (or jennings junk and her mom) do together.

Meadowview Thymes said...

pgl--it was a great day to go. The flowers had a late summer look (as if to say, "I'm blooming as much as I can because I'm getting ready to say goodbye"), the air had a late summer feel to it--it was perfect!



jj--I wondered if I would run into you and your mom Sat. You need to go before they take things up and plant fall.


mr--what a sweet thing for you to say. JJ and I both have good times with our moms and the Arboretum is definetly a place both moms and daughters love!

Susie said...

Meadowview-Those pictures are gorgeous! I bet you and your mom had a wonderful time. I love the fragrance of that ginger. It has one of the most heavenly smells on earth. I would love to grow that plant but every time I have seen it, it is so floppy. But oh, the smell!!!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Susie, I would love to grow the ginger too. I have never looked for it at nurseries--it gets too big got my yard! And it does get floppy. I think the Arboretum sometimes stakes theirs.

tina said...

Looks like a lovely day in the garden! Love those shrimp plants!

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina--It was just a wonderful happy garden day! :)