Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Bluebonnets!

It is no secret that I love wildflowers, and my favorites are now in bloom not only all along the roadsides of Texas (thank you Lady Bird Johnson!), but also in flower beds in my backyard! As you may remember, I planted seeds last fall..well, it was really late summer. I soaked the seeds the night before, then tilled the dirt a little, then scattered the seeds. Our cold, wet winter was actually good for wildflowers, and now this spring they are putting on quite a show!
The bonnets are pretty any time of day- early morning, or sunny afternoons.
I scattered the seeds mainly in the bed around the new tree because I knew the seeds would love all the sun the bed would get. You can see there are also a few in the corner bed to the left.
The bluebonnets are now in full bloom so they are pretty from any direction. And, did you know they have a wonderful fragrance? It is not very strong, very light.
Of all the views of the bluebonnets I may like this one the best. This is walking in from the side gate into my little backyard. I don't notice the small size of the yard, or the lack of many leaves on the new tree, or the still brown empty places in the yard--I see these beautiful blue flowers that I waited for all winter.

"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful: they are sunshine, food and medicine to the soul."...Luther Burbank

18 comments:

misterreereeder said...

Bluebonnets are one of my favorite wild flowers too. Those and Indian Paintbrushes. They sure make the roadsides pleasant to view. I seem to remember a song about heaven being in Texas AND with those bluebonnets in your yard I think you have a piece of heaven there.

Meadowview Thymes said...

MR-I forgot to mention that I have a few paintbrushes in with the bonnets. I planted some seed, and a few grew. Maybe more next year?? :)
Yeah..my little backyard is definetly my little piece of Texas Heaven! :)

tina said...

Simply stunning! I planted some seeds in honor of you but they have barely germinated:( I'm still hoping though. Have a great day I just love them!

JenningsJunk said...

GORGEOUS!!! Mom's Bluebonnets are blooming too and I was wondering about yours.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Tina, that is so sweet of you. I hope they germinate. I know other lupines grow in other states, but not sure about bluebonnets. Let me know!

JJ--and I was wondering about your mom's bonnets! They are beautiful this year! (my Mom's are blooming too!)

Nola said...

That's what I want my beds to look like! How beautiful.
I think we should make Lady Bird the patron saint of Texas!

CiNdEe's GaRdEn said...

Just beautiful! I am so happy they are blooming and you get to enjoy them this Spring(-: I love the blue of the flowers it is very calming and peaceful!

Skeeter said...

I enjoyed the bluebonnets while in Texas. My dad gave me some seeds at Christmas but I think I got them into the ground too late as I sprinkle them in early spring. Lady Bird did do a lot for the beauty of Texas highways. Ah, I knew you would get something in that chair that would be perfect!

SUNRISE IN SACHSE said...

Don't you wish they would bloom all summer long, they are so nice!

Meadowview Thymes said...

I like that idea Nola! Lady Bird sure did a lot to help the roadsides here!

Hi Cindee--hope you are having a great vacation! Glad you like the bluebonnets. I love their pretty blue color too. So pretty with the red and yellows blooming in the garden right now!

Skeeter, it's hard to forget the beauty of the spring bluebonnets once you have seen them, huh! I am so glad mine did well.
And you like the plant in the chair? Me too! I think it was a perfect fit! :)

Sunrise--yes, yes, yes!! I was just thinking how much I am going to miss them this summer. What can I plant under that tree that will look as pretty??

Balisha said...

Your bluebonnets are so pretty.I visited the home of Lady Bird and LBJ one time.Loved her and what she did for our world.I always think of her, when I see wildflowers.
Have fun "junkin"
Balisha

Meadowview Thymes said...

Balisha, yes Lady Bird will always be remembered for her work with wildflowers. The LBJ ranch is quite something, isn't it? Now that Lady Bird has passed away, I heard they were (or maybe already have) going to open their home to the public. I love to just tour the property when I am down in the hill country.

Anonymous said...

Hi Linda, I'm back! Thanks for stopping by and for your kind comments over the past few months. Hooray for my favorite wild flower. I missed seeing those gorgeous blue blooms. Thanks for sharing photos of yours. :)

Meadowview Thymes said...

Oh Racquel, my heart skipped a beat when I saw a comment from you! This makes my day! Welcome back!

Lola said...

My that is one pretty sea of blue. I like blue in the garden. It's so relaxing.
I'm glad yours are looking so good.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks Lola! What I forgot to mention--in that sea of green is a little red. I have a few paintbrushes growing among the bonnets! So pretty!

Chandramouli S said...

The Bluebonnets look sweet! I love how that bed looks! Looks wonderful.

Meadowview Thymes said...

Thanks so much Chandramouli--I am so in love with my Bluebonnets!